Friday, February 8, 2008

What's been happening here besides sleeping....

Today is Friday. Alison and I got up very early this morning. Lynn and I both have developed a bad cold. Alison continues with her sniffly nose. I was running a bit of a fever today so when Lynn got up, I went back to bed. I guess he and Alison napped while watching TV. When I got up about 1:30, Alison had just moved to her bed. She was sleeping soundly when I saw her. I think we still have our bodies on China time. We need to get this moved around. Yesterday we did very well with no naps and up all day but today with the colds, we all are sleeping day and night.

We had lunch about 3:00 and I decided we need to get this child out of the house to wake her up some. We ran errands to Plainfield. I had not been in the "Justice" shop for girls. Well, we are looking around and getting ready to check out and Alison looks real dazed and then throws-up on the floor (so much for lunch). We were told she gets car sick and we had only one episode while in China so I was a little surprised. But, our car sits her so low in the back seat that she only feels the motion and she can't see out. On the way back I had her sit in a booster seat but she still got sick some more. Poor thing. I think we will take my Trailblazer and see if that makes a difference. What will we do if this doesn't get better? I will have to go pick up the sea bands and see if they help her.

She is right at home now. She continues to figure out how things work here. She was running the DVD player yesterday and turned our TV on when we were in the other room. She is the most fastidious toothbrusher and hand washer I have ever seen. She has a whole routine with her toothbrush with a cup and swishing water in her mouth. I am showing her what goes in the fridge and the dish washer and hoping she can pick that up pretty quick. She needs to feel part of the family and not a guest.

Yesterday she was running up and down stairs and checking out all the doors in the house. She is playing with Nikki all the time and still talks to Nikki and not us. We used the translator this morning and she seemed more at ease with it and seemed to understand what I said. I plan on using it more and more. All morning she had a smile on her face.

So, I decided to go to McDonalds. She has been to McDonalds at least once in China. I called Angie and asked if she and Nolan wanted to go with us, which they did. Alison ate her lunch but would have nothing to do with the play area. She watched Nolan run around and she smiled occasionally but wouldn't budge from my side. I will say the place was packed. Another time. I just want her to get used to going out and testing her comfort while we are still with her. I especially want her to get comfortable with the grandkids. I want to get out to Tammie's in the next few days but we need to get over these colds first before we get around Stephen.

Alison is doing well. She is very animated and hardly sits still when she is more herself. But, I don't think we have seen but glimpses of her personality. She is very compliant but she makes her wishes known. She is picky about her clothes and she loves pink. She is trying new food and is eating ok. She had cereal for breakfast. Meal times have not been a problem but then we have only had a few meals here at home. We are dong fine right now. I am very encouraged and am trying to stay patient. I just want her to talk. So, how long before I wish she could be quiet for 5 minutes?

So that answer is not much is going on here besides sleeping... Brenda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
I used the dramamine pills for my 9 year old. She would get car sick too. If I gave her 1/2 pill (if Alison could swallow) it helped allot! Let me know. Keira was about 58 pounds then...what does Alison weigh?
:)
It will all smooth out soon and you will be wishing she was quiet for 5 minutes soon!
Tracy

Katrina said...

Lynn and Brenda!!! I am so glad you are home safe and sound. I followed you blog during your trip. That was very interesting... Thank you for all advices. Your daughter is beautiful. She will talk a lot very soon. I wish you the best. Now is our turn. Have a great time together!
Katrina jaruga