Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Update - Tomorrow is the day

First let me say that I can read your comments. Once you can open the blog site (as Lynn said) you can right click on any of the comments and "Open in a New Window". Thank you for all who have passed along messages.

We have two small portable heaters running in our room and there is heat coming in as well. We are comfortable in our long sleeves. The thing you need to know is that China does not heat or cool their public areas much. They do try to accommodate us weeny Americans though with some heating and cooling.

When you enter this area, you drive right by Victory and drive straight to the White Swan (back door). Maybe that will help some of you know where we are. We walked about 2-3 blocks to the White Swan today and all around the hotel. We walked by the river and back down the main promenade. We ate lunch at Cow Bridge which is just around the corner from our hotel.

Sherry's Place is moving. The woman we spoke to said they had lost their lease. We went to the new store which she said was very small. We did not go into the old store. We have time yet.

We took a cab to a mall today. Don't shop on Sunday...there were 9 of the 14 million people at this mall. Didn't see any Prada or Coach knock-offs...maybe that is another mall. We did buy some videos for Alison. Typical...watch what you buy. I bought Toy Story I & II and the outside says English, Mandarin & Cantonese but when I play it on our DVD it is English & French. I bought several Disney movies that won't play on our DVD player but if we change our Region code on our laptop will play them (I assume...Lynn didn't want to change it). Then I have Little Mermaid 2, Cinderella 3 & Moulan 2 that all play on our DVD player. We will talk to David and see if he knows our options. Maybe we should buy a DVD player here and take back home with us for her videos. Bob Kilbourn do you know?

We had a tough time getting a cab to come back from the mall. They just didn't drive by but with the 9 million people at the mall and in the street they were in high demand. We probably stood outside maybe 15-20 minutes to get a cab. Not having tried to get a cab in New York, we probably did good but in Indianapolis I have my choice of cabs most times. Not that I take a cab in Indy though.

We have met a few families here at the hotel. The two we met today are at the beginning of week two so will leave soon. One family is from Evansville and they adopted a boy who is deaf. He is learning to sign and he is a hugger. I saw him stop eating and give his momma a hug three times. He loves being signed, " good boy". The other family is from Pittsburgh. Her sister is with them and she is from MIAMI. She said in 28 years living in Miami she has never experienced weather like this!!! Too funny. And I thought I was cold. She is freezing.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I will also be checking our home email. Oh, our travel companion from our adoption agency said she uses Skyp (I think that was it) and they have video cam capability via Internet. We might want to look into that for the Zhu Hai girls. Since they are all over the US, it would be a very good way they could see and talk to each other until we can get them back together.

Oh, I found Starbucks too. We didn't stop today but I am thinking a "skinny vanilla latte" - Vin... oh you know the biggest one is going to be on my wish list.

I napped earlier today around lunch and Lynn is napping now (7PM here). Tomorrow is our day! Can't wait. I don't care right now if I sleep or not.

Thanks for prayers and well wishes. ... Brenda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda and Lynn! It is good to read your posts! I am so excited for you guys. My friend just got back from China adopting her 2 year old, and she used Skype. She said it was 2 cents a minute to call from her computer to the US...I am definately using it when I am in China (Soon hopefully!!) I am a Starbucks manager...Go Skinny Vanilla Latte!!!! Keep us posted on the Gotcha moments as soon as you can!!! Have a great UNION with your beautiful daughter!
:)
Tracy (tell Hai Shun "Hi" for me if you see her!)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lynn and Brenda - it is 7:05 Sunday evening here, but you guys are probably 3 hours from getting Alison! What an exciting time! Isn't it just so amazing?
-Eagerly awaiting your next blog!
-Kathy Perry

Carrie1013 said...

Hi Lynn and Brenda. This is Carrie from AHH's Travel Group 80. I'm so glad everything is going well. I'm looking at the clock and my heart is in my throat for you as you are about an hour away from meeting Allison for the first time! I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now!!! I'm left with awe and wonder at our God who can orchestrate such a miracle....oh what He can do with His children who say "YES, I'll go! Send me!" You and Allison are in my prayers! I can't wait to hear how everythig goes!
God bless you and your beautiful new daughter!
Carrie
(We're right behind you!!!)

Daddy said...

Lynn & Brenda
We are praying with you as you meet Alison. May God bless her and you in the days ahead. You are in our prayers

Steven and Kristy

Waitingfaithfully said...

Lynn & Brenda,

Thinking of you and watching the clock tick, as you wait to become parents to one more girl!!! Praying for Alison, that God would prepare her heart for the journey that lies before her. God is GOOD, and He will be with you every step of the way!

Blessings to China~
Tina and Bryan Winder & family