Thursday, February 14, 2008

First Day at School

When Alison got up this morning, I got the translator and told her we were going to school today for a "heart" party...Valentine Party. We were going to take the cards she made and give them to her new friends at school. We walked into class just before the party. She was a little hesitant but I went with her to her new desk. At first, she didn't want to put her cards into the childrens' bags but I showed her what to do and then handed them to her and she did them. Then about halfway through, she took the rest of the cards and gave one to each child.

She has a personal translator, besides an electronic one.... Jennifer. Jennifer is her translator in the class. Her parents are from Taiwan and she speaks Mandarin (which Alison understands). WOW! What a God thing. Jennifer asked me why Alison was mad and I explained that she was frightened and could not understand our English words. Jennifer asked where her parents are and I tried to explain an orphan to a 7 year old. Jennifer kept saying over and over, "that is so sad". But, I told Jennifer that I am Alison's mom now and we are going to love and take care of her forever. Jennifer's big eyes showed her compassion for a little girl to grow from a baby to a nine year old without a mom or dad and to live each day in a school.

Then we went to computer class. Alison joined the group and walked to class and sat at the computer. I was in the room but across from her and basically out of sight unless she stood up. This child did great. She watched the other kids and did what they did. She is happy with her new desk which has her name on it (she traced her finger over her name). We have two hours under our belt and the next step is to see how she does on Tuesday when she will go probably all day.

School was only half day so close to the end we ran over to see Alyssa. Alyssa is so good with Alison. She introduces her to her friends and tells them that Alison is from China. Alyssa went home with Mark. We met up with the Thomsons and went to Roscos Tacos.

Let's talk about food for a moment. In China, she was pretty predictable with her fried noodles and fried rice although we did get her to branch out to french fries and a hamburger. Since we have been home, she has had pancakes, stir-fry w/ rice (ok, that was a given), oatmeal w/ dinosaur eggs (a winner...every drop eaten), pop tarts (my kind of girl), peanut butter and jelly, spaghetti, hot dogs w/ chili, chicken nuggets, sausage burrito and now loaded nachos... all were a hit. If I had to pick a favorite, it is still french fries but the burrito and nachos are close. Even the pancakes and oatmeal seemed to rate well. She doesn't eat a lot but she eats. She like grapes but not bananas. And my all time favorite, roast, potatoes and carrots got barely a nibble... failed on this one. She likes chocolate milk, Sprite, and orange soda. She drinks milk but not much. She really isn't a big drinker. I bet she doesn't drink 10 ounces in a whole day. We will have to work on this.

The "Highschool Musical" CD was being played a lot when we were home today. The volume somehow kept creeping louder and louder. I would go in and tell her to turn in down and the next song it is loud again. No, we haven't had her hearing checked and we will but do you really think this isn't absolutely normal? I put the CD player on the top of her desk (she has a roll top so it has a high top shelf) thinking she would put a tape in and play in her room. OH NO. She puts the tape in while standing on the chair and stands (rocking to the music) the whole time the CD is playing. Lynn suggests I find a place lower to put the CD player. I guess I should. But maybe the chair is her stage?!

Tammie called this afternoon to say Stephen is going back in the hospital with pneumonia so I offered to come get the kids. I gave Alison a half Dramamine on the way out and she was fine. We were there about 20 minutes and then drove back. It is about 30 minutes each way. Well, she didn't make it. She got sick in the car. But, can I digress a bit... she is a great "puker". Sorry! But this is a very important trait that a mother loves.... she hit the bag, kept it contained and handed it to me when we got home. I really appreciate that.

We took the kids to Bob Evans tonight. The kids each got the kid menu and ordered their food. Alison sat across from me with Emilie and Maggie. Emilie is so sweet with her. Emilie is such a little helper. Anyway, the kids were all coloring and Emilie says, "Grandma, she wrote her name." Alison had folded up her menu by this time so I asked her for it. At first she was hesitant and then she gave it to me. She is a very good at coloring but on one of the pictures she wrote "Alion". OH, MY BABY WROTE HER NAME! OK, I know, she is missing the "S" but you are missing the point of this story.... SHE WROTE HER NAME. I have written it for her several times but she doesn't seem to be paying attention. She was fingering her name on her desk today and I know she recognizes it. I am saving that picture. The first day of school AND she wrote her name.

Alison fell asleep on the couch tonight while Daniel, Joseph, Maggie and Emilie watched a movie. Emilie asked me what Alison's favorite movie is and I told her "Little Mermaid" so that is what they decided they wanted to watch. They have never watched that movie before because it is scary but they watched it all the way through and we just talked though the bad parts with the sea witch and her evil ways. Emilie offered to watch it in Mandarin after they watched it in English so Alison would enjoy it more....ahhhhh! It was 9:30 and time to get these kiddos to bed. Alison, the sombe, was easiest to get to bed. I walked her in there and handed her pj's and she gets in them without fuss. May not always be the case because the other room was filled with the whispers of little voices doing everything but sleeping. I finally had to bring Daniel out in the living room with me so the others could go to sleep.

What Alison must be thinking! What is the family thing all about? Kids coming and going all the time. Everyday it is the boys dropping in/out, Alyssa drops in on some days and now these kids come and spend the night. Lynn has come home and gone to bed very early with his cold ailments. My cough is much better but I wear out easily and I admit to laying on the couch quite a bit this week. And it looks like we live in a hotel. I still have suitcases out in the kitchen (empty but out). All of the souveneirs are out all over the kitchen table. The kitchen counter has things not put away from the trip, dirty dishes, and mail all thrown together. This morning I couldn't find my keys and I was in a panic as to which pile they might have fallen in. At least we live across from the school, we could have walked if we had to.

This has not been a typical week but I am not sure that one of those will exist again for about 10 years or longer. This week has been chaos but happy chaos. We have been sick but content. Alison is so much the trooper. If we want to go, she goes. If we insist, she gives in (except for that dress). What courage God has given this child. What strength! She looks so fragile and tiny but there is a mighty spirit contained in that small frame. We don't know what she is thinking. But she faces each day with courage and expectation that it will be better than her past. We, who know the Lord, know the peace that passes all understanding. We are to come to God like a child. Be child-like in your faith. She believes and trusts so freely. She has faith that we will be good to her. May I never fail my Lord and I have no fear of failing her. Another good day.... Brenda

2 comments:

Barb said...

That is so wonderful how she wrote her name! She may not say much, but she is taking it all in. Anna Marie does that even now. We thought she was color blind because she wouldn't get the colors right....ever! We'd say, "what color is this red cup? and she'd say "blue". When we had her tested for color blindness, she got everyone right. Since that day she has never missed a color. Now she acts like she doesn't know her ABC's. But her grandma saw her going through the flashcards by herself and got most of them right!

By the way, Kathy & I can drop by with Anna Marie and Elizabeth on Monday. THe Chinese New Year lunch in Mooresville is Saturday at 12:30.
Barb

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is amazing how quickly she is fitting in, literally, everywhere: with her new family, her new home, her new music, her new school, her new friends ... simply amazing! As always, God put her with just the right family! Like a little baby bird, she seems to be coming out of her shell more and more every day.

Love,
Kathy