Sunday, January 20, 2008

One Week and Counting

In one week and a few hours, Alison will be with us. We truly are on the count-down now. This still sounds crazy. Our lives will be so different. How will she react to us? Will she be happy to have parents without siblings in the home? I am so anxious for when we can really talk.

I am concerned about the struggle she will have in the first few weeks to grasp the language and how hard school will be for her for awhile. Alison has had a short changed life for nine years and I want it to be easier but it won't be for sometime. I want to take away the hurts of being on your own as a child. When will she know that she can trust us? When will she know for sure that we will love her unconditionally and always be there for her? I guess I want time to pass quickly to a point that we are on our way to really communicating. But I don't want to wish time away and miss the precious moments ahead as we get to know each other.

I still haven't started packing. I have to do that soon. Someone who is also adopting said she was feeling almost paralyzed in the moment and that is exactly how I feel. So much to do but I am moving things around and not really getting anything done.

We are not staying at the White Swain. I know the Victory will be a nice hotel but I was hoping to be at the same hotel as another girl from the orphanage (the family is there a few days before us but stays until Feb 6 like we do)so the girls could see each other often and maybe draw some comfort in their new situation. There isn't much distance between the hotels so I know it will work out just fine.

I guess I am just nervous about the unknown. Ready to go but have to wait. Want to be able to freely talk to Alison but that will take time. Be patient. It will all happen. Keep us in your prayers. Pray that Alison is prepared to become part of a family and that the separation from her orphan friends will not be too overwhelming.

5 comments:

Barb said...

We will be praying for you! It is such an exciting time, yet so scary too. God brought you this far, He will be with you throughout.

Love and prayers,
The Kilbourns

Anonymous said...

We will also be praying that all goes well. There is no better place to be than in the very center of God's will and safe in His hands! Be sure and talk to "Jordan" of Jordan's, a small shop in Guangzhou very close to the White Swan (I don't know where the Victory Hotel is in relation to his shop.) He is a Christian! Barb and I bought a lot of items in his shop - inexpensive, but the best quality! I can hardly wait to see you all together here in the U.S.! You are blessed!

Love,
Kathy Perry

Anonymous said...

Lynn & Brenda,

May the peace of God, which passes all understanding, lead you on. May the pure love of Jesus be more real to you then you have ever known. And may the Holy Spirit, himself clothe you in all comfort, as you follow the footsteps of our Savior to bring the orphan home.
Be Blessed my friends and let your light shine!!
Love,
Katie Hagen

Anonymous said...

Lynn and Brenda -
You know you're in our hearts throughout this amazing journey. I know you will be the best parents for Alison. God doesn't make those kinds of mistakes when a child has waited so long. She will feel so safe and loved in your care.
Prayers for safe travel, joyful unions and peaceful transitions. Having Brooke there will surely help.
It looks as if we're leaving for Ai Li on the 6th - the day you come back. We'll be passing each other in the air at some point!! You can use your translator and share that with Alison so that she knows that another one of her friends will soon be here, and just a phone call away.
Love,
The Hubers

Anonymous said...

So by the time you read this I am sure you are safe in China being united with your daughter. Congratulations from all of your work mates :) PS Jon has his report. We will be looking for your updated post.